your airbrush tanning session....
- Shave or wax any areas that you normally would or want removed [the night before or morning of appointment]
- EXFOLIATE your skin by using a body scrub or a dry brush. Best done the night before or morning of appointment, so your skin can readjust back to optimal pH levels. Not exfoliating thoroughly can result in an uneven application or fading of the tan. It is also the single most important step of the prep, if you want your tan to last more than just a couple of days.
- NO lotions, oils, deodorant, makeup, perfumes or any product that will create a barrier on your skin. These products will create a barrier on the top layer of skin, preventing the absorption of the tanning solution. Eye makeup is OK. If you are coming straight from work or in a pinch and need to wipe/wash off your makeup or lotions before getting sprayed… you can do so at our salon.
- Haircuts/color, mani’s/pedi’s, massages & other spa treatments should be done prior to your spray tanning session.
- Avoid bar soap or deodorant soaps before your spray tan session. These soaps tend to create a film or leave behind a residue- again…acting as barrier on your skin.
- If your skin is feeling overly dry, looking blotchy or general looking overly weathered… it is highly recommend to have the pH balancing spray applied prior to your tanning session.
- Make sure to wear in or bring with you dark, loose fitting clothing & a pair of flip-flops or loose fitting shoes to wear home from your session. Wearing any tight or restricting clothing afterwards will cause the spray tan solution to rub off, which can cause streaking and will diminish tan results. Please note…wearing your bra immediately after your tanning session is not advised, as it can rub and create lines.
What to wear DURING your session....
- It is completely up to you and your comfort level as to how much or as little you would like to wear during your tanning session. Tanning topless or fully nude is perfectly fine. Many clients prefer no tan lines.
- If you do choose to wear something, it’s recommended that the garment be dark and something you don’t particularly care about. [wool, lycra, nylon, spandex, silk, synthetics and leather stain especially easily]
- Remove contact lenses and jewelry before being sprayed
POST airbrush tanning care....
- You will not be able to get wet [shower, exercise, sweat or swim] for at least 8 hours... so plan accordingly. ***Rapid tan solution allows you to shower in 1-3 hours.
- After waiting 8 [or more] hours you are able to shower. A quick, warm water [only] rinse is recommended. Washing your hair or any other necessary area is fine. (skipping a full body suds for your first shower greatly increases the longevity of your tan) Lightly pat, do not rub skin dry and apply a quality moisturizing lotion immediately after.
- Some color wash off in the shower is completely normal; this is excess solution and color guide tint. You will still have a bronze tan that developed into your skin.
- Avoid post tan shaving if at all possible. But if you must… wait 48 hours after your tan is applied to shave and use a new, sharp razor and extra shaving cream or conditioner. Avoid hair removal products such as Nair, as these will strip your tan off along with the hair.
- Moisturize and Hydrate!! Make sure to keep your skin moisturized, up to twice daily. Keeping your body hydrated from within is just as important. Drinking lots of water before and after your session, greatly increases the longevity of your tan. Apply moisturizer after showering and again before bed if you wish. You can apply tan extender once a day or every other day.
What to AVOID for the duration of your airbrush tan [typically
What to AVOID for the duration of your airbrush tan [typically 7-10 days]....
- Long hot showers, baths, saunas, rubbing or scratching of the skin. This increases the natural skin exfoliation process and can result in premature fading.
- Lotions/cleansers/soaps that contain any fragrance or alcohol as a main ingredient. These ingredients will exfoliate your skin & fade your tan, possibly removing your tan instantly!
- Spraying perfumes directly on your neck or skin. Perfumes contain alcohol which can create blotches and fading if sprayed directly on your tan. Spray a cloud of perfume in the air and walk through the mist.
- Swimming/wading in chlorinated pools or soaking in hot tubs. Submerging in chlorine will dramatically accelerate the fading process and promotes the outer layer of skin to slough off, which will remove your spray tan all together! Applying a generous amount of waterproof sunscreen prior to submerging can help reduce the fading process.