your airbrush tanning session....
- Shave or wax any areas that you normally would or want removed [the night before or morning of appointment]
- EXFOLIATE your skin with an abrasive agent and an exfoliating tool or by dry brushing. Best done the night before or morning of appointment, giving ample time between shaving/exfoliating and your appointment. So your skin can readjust back to optimal pH levels and for the pores to close. Not exfoliating thoroughly can result in an uneven application, uneven fading or premature fading of the tan. It is also the single most important step of the prep, if you want your tan to last more than just a couple of days.
- NO lotions, oils, deodorant, makeup, perfumes or any product that will create a barrier on your skin. These products will create a barrier on the top layer of skin, preventing proper absorption of the tanning solution. Eye makeup is OK, but its best to skip everything else, if you plan on spraying your face. >> If you are coming straight from work or pressed for time and need to wipe/wash off your makeup or lotions before getting sprayed… you may do so at the salon. All items are provided.
- Hair cuts/color, mani’s/pedi’s, massages & other spa treatments should be done prior to your spray tanning session.
- Avoid bar soap or deodorant soaps before your spray tan session. These soaps tend to create a film or leave behind a residue- again…acting as barrier on your skin.
- If your skin is feeling overly dry, looking blotchy or general looking overly weathered… it is highly recommend to have the pH balancing spray applied prior to your tanning session.
- Make sure to wear in (or bring with you) dark, looser fitting clothing & a pair loose fitting shoes/flip flops to wear home from your session. Wearing any extra tight or restricting clothing afterwards will cause the spray tan solution to rub off, which can cause streaking and will diminish tan results. >>Steer clear of any white/cream colors, spandex material, extra tight jeans, leggings, sports bra, etc
What to wear DURING your session....
- It is completely up to you and your comfort level as to how much or as little you would like to wear during your tanning session. Tanning topless or fully nude is perfectly fine. Many clients actually prefer no tan lines.
- If you do choose to wear something, it’s recommended that the garment be dark and something you don’t particularly care about. [wool, lycra, nylon, spandex, silk, synthetics and leather stain especially easily] >>keeping in mind what lines it could create, as spray tan lines can be extra prominent once created.
- Remove contact lenses and jewelry before being sprayed
POST airbrush tanning care....
- You will not be able to get wet [shower, exercise, sweat or swim] for at least 8 hours... so plan accordingly. ***Unless you are using the rapid tanning solution, which allows you to shower in 1-3 hours.
- After waiting the recommended time, you are able to rinse. A quick, warm water [only] rinse is recommended. Washing your hair or any other necessary area is fine. (skipping a full body suds for your first shower, greatly increases the longevity of your tan) Lightly pat, do NOT rub skin dry and apply a water-based moisturizing lotion immediately after.
- Some color wash off in the shower is completely normal; this is the excess solution and color guide tint. Your tan itself will be absorbed and developed onto your skin.
- Avoid post tan shaving for as long as possible! Highly suggested to wait (at least 2 days after) your tan is applied, to shave. And using a new, sharp razor and extra shaving cream or conditioner, will help. Avoid hair removal products such as Nair, as these will strip your tan off along with the hair.
- Moisturize and Hydrate!! Make sure to keep your skin moisturized, up to twice daily. Keeping your body hydrated from within is just as important. Drinking lots of water before and after your session, greatly increases the longevity of your tan. Apply moisturizer after showering and again before bed if you wish. You can apply tan extender once a day or every other day.
What to AVOID for the duration of your airbrush tan [typically
What to AVOID for the duration of your airbrush tan [typically 7-10 days]....
- Long hot showers, baths, saunas, rubbing or scratching of the skin. This increases the natural skin exfoliation process and can result in premature fading.
- Lotions/cleansers/soaps that contain any fragrance or alcohol as a main ingredient. These ingredients will exfoliate your skin & fade your tan, possibly removing your tan instantly!
- Spraying perfumes directly on your neck or skin. Perfumes contain alcohol which can create blotches and fading if sprayed directly on your tan. Spray a cloud of perfume in the air and walk through the mist.
- Swimming/wading in chlorinated pools or soaking in hot tubs. Submerging in chlorine will dramatically accelerate the fading process and promotes the outer layer of skin to slough off, which will remove your spray tan all together! Applying a generous amount of waterproof sunscreen prior to submerging can help reduce the fading process.
>> As always, please do not hesitate to reach out if you ever need clarification on anything! Never a silly question and I’m more than happy to explain in further detail. Or if you need help figuring out when to schedule or coordinating with other services, I'd love to help with that as well!